Tuesday, September 30, 2008

My First "Best Friend"

Glamour Girl

Serious Student


Always An Early To Bed Girl


Does anyone recognize this girl? Descriptive terms: "gregarious", "fun loving", "friend", "animal lover", "generous", "sports lover", "nurse", "professor", "athlete"

What she does easily: LAUGH

Favorite Expression: "I was HOWLING!"

Born in Detroit
Raised in Detroit
Deserted the rest of us in Detroit
Became a "southerner"

If you haven't already guessed, this is none other than Barbara Elizabeth (Yako) Sherman, my cousin. {footnote to anyone who knew Barbara back in the 1950s, she used to say her middle name was Louise. Everyone else had a middle name except her, so she picked one. Then when she was confirmed she took Elizabeth and gave up the alias.} Barbara now lives in Plantation, Florida. She is a Registered Nurse and teaches Pediatric Nursing at Broward Community College. She is married to Dick Sherman and they have two Weimerweiners named Dutchess and Buddy. I would tell you which dog is more spoiled but I'm not sure, Barb was never one to play favorites. After I die I wouldn't mind coming back as one of Barbara's dogs.

Facts about Barbara and Kathleen: Barbara and I are three months apart in age. She is the eldest! However, in spite of her rank, I could somehow always get her to do ANYTHING. If you see Barb, ask her why someone who got deathly ill on amusement park rides, would repeatedly go on anything that went in circles(even after upchucking). Ask her what it was in my manner that convinced her she could jump off the diving board(even though she couldn't swim) and I'd make sure she was okay? What ever made her think I knew what I was doing? I'll tell you what I think...I think it was our bond. I think it was our undying love and affection for one another. Our Mother's were sisters and somehow I think we thought we were too. Our friendship has carried us through 62 years. What memories we share.

Barbara has been one of my biggest fans. She has been a great "Aunt" to my children. She cheered me on through my late entry into Nursing School. She has encouraged me to strive to be excellent in my nursing practice. And she thinks I'm the best thing since sliced bread! No matter what I do, no matter how I do it, to Barb it is the best. I don't think she has an inkling of how much she helped me get through in my life. How instrumental she was in helping me to believe in myself during my early adulthood. And so dear Barbara, I am telling you now, thank you.

To those of you who have never had the good fortune of having a "Barbara" in your life, I am truly sorry. You have no idea how great it is to have Barbara as an audience and to have her laugh so hard....well, lets just say you have her rolling in the aisles! (The rest Barb, will be our secret.)

Until next time....always, Kathleen

Posted by Picasa

No comments: