Monday, September 29, 2008

Sea Turtles

TURTLE HATCHLINGS
11/2007
PUERTO VALLARTA, MEXICO











TURTLES RELEASED ON THE BEACH

11/2007

ANN(my daughter), TOM(my husband) & I
TOOK PART IN THIS











BABY TURTLES HEADING OUT TO SEA












Last November, after my Mother died, Tom took me to our favorite place, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. We were married in Puerto Vallarta in 2001. We go there every winter and have for many years. We've met some great couples who vacation at the same time of the year and we meet up with them every February. On this particular trip, my daughter Ann came along too. She moved in with me the last two weeks of my Mother's illness. At the time she was working, finishing school(her Master's in Nursing), and getting ready to start a new job as a Nurse Practitioner. She joined Tom and I for 7 days of our 12 day stay.

Sea Turtles are an endangered & protected species. The beach the El Presidente Hotel sits on seems to attract female Sea Turtles and they come ashore at night and lay their eggs. The beach boy will see the tracks of the turtles flippers in the morning. They follow them and gently probe the sand with a long wooden stick. They locate the spot and gently hand dig until they find the eggs. Some turtles lay over 100 eggs at a time. Once the eggs are uncovered they are gently placed into a Styrofoam cooler and transported to a fenced in area of sand which is above the beach area. They are reburied and the date the eggs where laid is marked on a stake. When the incubation period is completed the designated hotel personal begin checking the nesting area several times a day. We were lucky enough to see the turtles hatch and slowly dig their way out of the sand. The baby turtles are then placed in the Styrofoam cooler in water until evening. After sunset hotel guests are invited to help with the release of the baby turtles. They are taken close to the waters edge and set down in the sand. They instinctively make their way to the ocean. This is done after sunset to decrease the risk of the turtles being swooped down upon by seagulls, pelicans and other birds of prey. I came across these pictures and thought you might enjoy them. I know, it's not my usual format.

Tom and I are flying up to Gwinn on Saturday. Evelyn is being baptized on Sunday. Wait till I get back, you'll be seeing plenty of you know who!!! Until next time....always, Kathleen

Posted by Picasa

No comments: